The neck is structurally and functionally adapted to allow head movement in various directions. Because of the complex nature of the neck, it is vulnerable to injury and pain. When it comes to the diagnosis and treatment of neck pain, Ron Marinaro DC and his team at Pain Relief Center Studio City are ready to help you break free from suffering.
Neck Pain Q&A
1) What causes neck pain?
- Diseases: Some diseases, for example, cancer, meningitis, and rheumatoid arthritis can cause neck pain.
- Poor posture causes muscle strain: Habits such as hunching over your smartphone or computer puts a lot of strain on your neck muscles, causing pain.
- Nerve compression: Pressure on the nerves that branch out from the spinal cord caused by herniated discs usually cause neck pain.
- Worn out joints: Conditions such as osteoarthritis cause deterioration of the cartilage between your vertebrae, causing bone spurs that affect bone motion leading to strain and pain.
- · Injuries: Auto accidents usually cause whiplash injuries that lead to strains in the neck’s soft tissues.
2) What are the early signs of neck pain?
The signs and symptoms of neck pain may vary depending on the root cause but usually include:
- Decreased head mobility
- Pain in the neck that gets worse when you move your head
- Muscle spasms
- Muscle tightness and strain
3) When should you see a doctor?
With home treatment, neck pain can be relieved in a few days.
However, if the pain is severe and persistent or is accompanied by a headache, numbness, or spreads down your arms or legs, seek immediate health care.
4) What should you expect during a neck pain consultation?
The Pain Relief Center Studio City team will first conduct a thorough physical exam to determine the cause and severity of your pain to determine the best treatment plan for you. During the exam, the team will review your symptoms, your medical history and evaluate your spine. Sometimes diagnostic imaging may be needed to find the root cause of your neck pain.
5) How is neck pain treated?
Your doctor usually develops a personalized treatment plan for every patient, depending on the nature of your condition. Neck pain treatment may involve;
- Chiropractic adjustments
- Therapeutic exercises
- Posture therapy
- The use of anti-inflammatory medications
In case you are suffering from acute radiating neck pain, your doctor may suggest using pulsed electromagnetic therapy, which is a non-invasive treatment that involves the use of electromagnetic energy in stimulating cellular activity also helps in reducing inflammation and treating neck and low back pain.
Your doctor may also recommend a surgical approach to treat neck pain.
6) How can neck pain be prevented?
Neck pain can be prevented by the implementation of OSF simple lifestyle changes, which include;
- Maintaining good posture: When standing or sitting, ensure your ears are directly over your shoulders and that your shoulders are in a straight line over your hips.
- Sleep in a good position: Use a pillow under your neck and ensure your head and neck are aligned with your body.
- Avoid carrying heavy luggage over your shoulders as the weight causes strain on your neck.
- Avoid smoking as this makes you vulnerable to neck pain.
- Avoid sitting in one position for long hours. Take breaks frequently to move around and stretch your neck and shoulders.
To learn more about neck pain and to receive effective care, call Pain Relief Center Studio City to schedule your appointment.